The Women’s Independence Scholarship Program is established as a support for women who have been abused in the past. The scholarship award ensures that survivors of abuse get financial help apart from rehabilitation from any psychological effect or trauma they might have gone through.
Specifically, the scholarship fund is to assist female survivors of intimate partner abuse (separated from their abusive partner a minimum of one year and a maximum of seven years).
However, the candidate must have sought the service of a non-profit agency that provides support to survivors of such abuse for a minimum of six consecutive months.
The domestic violence service agency will act as a sponsor, mentor, and provide support to the student throughout her educational career in the institution. The agency can as well accept funds on behalf of the applicant, should a scholarship for living expenses be awarded.
Candidates must be a citizen of the United States or have a permanent legal residence permit and currently attending an accredited course of study at any university/college in the US. The mode of application is online and forms are submitted electronically.
Applicants should have applied to or been officially accepted into an accredited course of study at a United States institution.
The Women’s Independence Scholarship is given yearly to successful candidates with merits.
But apart from academic performances, the scholarship foundation places a high priority on candidates who are single mothers nursing young children.
Scholarships you may also like to apply for:
- Google Lime Scholarship 2021
- Linly Heflin Scholarship 2021/2022
- Dangote Foundation Scholarship For African Students 2021
- Abby’s Closet Dreams Can Come True Scholarship 2022
- Caroline D. Bradley Scholarship for US students
- Scholarships for KATS (Kansas Athletic Trainers’ Society)
- Adam Ferrari Health Science Scholarship 2021
They consider this group as most candidates with the greatest barriers (i.e. childcare needs) and ones who need assistance in taking care of their children and also helping them to complete their education.
How to apply for the Women’s Independence Scholarship
The Women’s Independence Scholarship is given yearly to successful candidates. The application for 2021 is closed. But applications for 2022 will open in January.
- Applicants must meet the 2.5 Minimum GPA.
- To be eligible for the Women’s Independence Scholarship Program, applicants must be female.
- The applicants must show evidence of being a survivor of intimate partner abuse; be physically separated from their abuser for a minimum of one year but not more than seven.
- Applicants are expected to have sought services from a non-profit agency that provides services to survivors of intimate partner abuse for a minimum of six consecutive months to be eligible.
- Candidates should have applied to or been officially accepted into an accredited university in the United States to pursue a degree course.
- The scholarship award is open to a two-year, four-year full-time college degree or trade/technical school in the US.
- The award is available to U.S. citizens
Supporting Documents For the Women’s Independence Scholarship Program
- Complete application form
- Financial need analysis
- Recommendations letter or references
- Special requirements exist (These are specified in the text.)
Application Deadline: March 2022