Top 10 Private Universities in Nigeria [NUC Ranking 2023]
Here’s a list of the top #10 best private universities in Nigeria according to the NUC.
- Covenant University(Covenant)
- Babcock University(BABCOCK)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola (JABU)
- Bowen University (Bowen)
- Redeemer’s University Nigeria (RUN)
- Igbinedion University Okada (IUO)
- American University Of Nigeria (AUN)
- Bells University OF Technology (BELLSTECH)
- Afe Babalola University(ABUAD)
- Ajayi Crowther University (ACU)
Read Also: List of fake universities in Nigeria by NUC
1. Covenant University
Covenant University is ranked as the best private university in Nigeria.
It was established in 2002 and owned by a Christian church – the Living Faith Church.
The university enrols students for both undergraduate and postgraduate studies.
Living Faith Church also runs many non-profit institutions around Nigeria and Africa including hospitals, schools for orphans & disabled children as well as homes for single mothers.
The institution prides itself not just on providing top-notch education but doing so within an environment where spiritual values are upheld at all times while being open-minded towards others’ views.
According to recent university ratings, Covenant University is rated as the best private university in Nigeria. The institution has an excellent record of acceptance rate and enrollment rate. The institution is a bit competitive and their Students stand a good chance in case of employment in the future.
Check out the list of the top travel companies in Abuja Nigeria.
The total number of students is 15,000 while the number of its administrative staff is around 1,000.
The university runs a collegiate system of 4 colleges; a system adopted by some universities in the United States of America.
The colleges are:
- College of Leadership Development Studies (CLDS),
- College of Engineering (COE), and
- College of Science and Technology (CST).
Read Also: Full List of Accredited Nursing Schools in Nigeria 2022
2. Babcock University
Babcock University is another top institution in our list of top 10 private universities in Nigeria.
Babcock maintains a high moral standard in its educational system, and over 70% of students have been seen to be successful with their studies there, an incredible achievement that’s rare among most colleges in Nigeria.
Many Nigerian Universities still hold archaic beliefs, which they used in management. But Babcock isn’t such a place.
When it comes to the managerial system of running a successful academic calendar while still retaining moral values, Babcock university is the best. It continues to increase the efficiency of a higher education system within the country through cutting-edge technologies and innovative ideas to increase the standard of organization and wellbeing of students.
BABCOCK university is part of the Seventh-day Adventist education system, which is the world’s second-largest Christian school system. It runs both undergraduate and postgraduate programs altogether with a total student strength of 10,000.
Babcock University has 8 schools and 1 college namely:
- School of Agriculture & Industrial Technology, Babcock Business School,
- College of Health & Medical Sciences,
- School of Basic & Applied Science (formerly known as Science & Technology)
- School of Computing & Engineering Sciences.
- School of Education and Humanities.
- School of Law & Security Studies.
- School of Nursing.
- School of Public & Applied Health.
- School of Postgraduate Studies.
Read: Best Universities in Nigeria [2022 Ranking Update]
3. Joseph Ayo Babalola University
Joseph Ayo Babalola University is the third-best private university in Nigeria. Joseph Ayo Babalola
The University was founded by Christ Apostolic Church (CAC) in 2004, and named after the great man of God – Joseph Ayo Babalola.
Since the private institution has continues to develop and expand greatly.
Also known as JABU, the University creates a tendency for the formation of entrepreneurship in Nigeria. And this has inspired many parents to send their children to university.
4. Bowen University
4th on our list is Bowen University, which is located in Iwo, Osun State. Just like JABU, the university is privately owned and controlled by the first church in Nigeria.
Faculties members of this reputable institution are made up of competent lecturers in the country thanks to its proximity to Obafemi Awolowo (OAU) and the University of Ibadan (UI).
This Nigerian Baptist University currently has about 5,000 students.
5. Redeemer’s University Nigeria
The Redeemer’s University is owned by the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG). However, not until recently, the university moved from its temporary location, which was within the church camp to its permanent location in Osun State. Redeemer’s University ranks #5 best private university in Nigeria.
The university also runs a collegiate system of 3 colleges namely:
- The College of Natural Science.
- The College of Management Science.
- The College of Humanities.
This institution has about 2,000 students and also enrols students for the postgraduate program.
6. Igbinedion University Okada
Located in Edo state, Igbinedion University Okada is Nigeria’s premier private university – the first private university in the country and currently ranks #6 best private university in Nigeria.
The university was established in 1999 and offers accredited undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Law, Medicine, Natural and Applied Sciences, Business and Management Studies, Pharmacy, Engineering, and the Arts and Social Sciences.
Igbinedion University is also the first Private University to produce the first set of graduates in 2006 and medical doctors in Sub-Saharan Africa This academic institution has a student capacity of 5000.
7. American University Of Nigeria
The American University of Nigeria is the only private university in Northern Nigeria that made it to the list of top 10 private universities in Nigeria.
AUN happens to be the only American-style university in Sub-Saharan Africa and only 2 of them exist, the second one is located in Cairo known as the American University of Cairo.
The university is located in Yola, Adamawa state and is owned by Atiku Abubakar.
AUN’s main partner is Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana.
The university is a member of the Association of American International Colleges and Universities.
It has 3 schools namely;
- the School of Arts and Sciences.
- School of Business and Entrepreneurship.
- School of Information Technology and Communications.
8. Bells University OF Technology
The first University of Technology in Nigeria is Bells University. It was established in 2004 at Ota, Ogun state by the former head of state and president of Nigeria Olusegun Obasanjo. The university’s mission is to discover, disseminate and apply the knowledge of science and engineering for human well-being and the development of society.
There are 3 colleges at Bells University:
- College of Engineering & Environmental Sciences.
- College of Natural & Applied Sciences
- College of Management Sciences.
9. Afe Babalola University
Founded in 2009 by Afe Babalola, a renowned Lawyer in the country, Afe Babalola University is among the top 10 private universities in Nigeria. The university is located in Ado, Ekiti State
It also operates a collegiate academic system:
- College of Law;
- College of Sciences;
- College of Medicine and Health Sciences;
- College of Engineering;
- College of Social and Management Sciences;
where it enrols students for both pre-degree and degree studies.
The school is among the top-ranked private universities in Nigeria because of its contributions towards the advancement of technology in the country.
Ajayi Crowther University
The 10th ranked private university in Nigeria is the Ajayi Crowther University ( ACU). It is a Christian-owned private university located in Oyo, Oyo State.
It was established in 2005 by the Supra Diocesan Board(West) of the Church of Nigeria(Anglican Communion) and named after the late Samuel Ajayi Crowther – the first African Bishop who first translated the Bible into Yoruba.
The institution’s ability to instil academic and moral excellence in its students is one of the reasons it is regarded as one of the best privately-owned universities in Nigeria.
Read Related Articles…
- Best Universities in Nigeria According to Global Ranking 2023
- Should I Accept an Internship Outside of My Field of Study?
- Best Paying Jobs for College Students on a Work & Study Plan
- Top 100 Universities & Colleges With the Lowest Acceptance Rates in US
- 10 Best Technology Universities in Nigeria According to NUC Ranking 2023
- Top 10 Private Universities in Nigeria [NUC Ranking 2023]