- 1 Finance Sector Overview
- 2 Is Finance A Good Career Path?
- 3 What Skills Do You Need In Finance?
- 4 Highest Paying Jobs in Finance Sector
- 5 Conclusion
Finance Sector Overview
Finance is a field that deals with the study of investments. It includes the dynamics of assets and liabilities over time under conditions of different degrees of uncertainty and risk. Finance can also be defined as the science of money management. Market participants aim to price assets based on their risk level, fundamental value, and their expected rate of return.
Today, you are more likely to find finance degrees offered as Bachelor of Science (BSc) or Master of Science (MSc) qualifications at universities in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and certain European countries. In the United States and Canada, you will see these courses offered as Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) or Master of Business Administration (MBA) qualifications instead.
Finance can be split into three sub-categories:
- public finance,
- corporate finance and
- personal finance.
Now that we have a basic understanding of what the term ‘finance’ means, let us see whether or not it is a good career path for you.
Is Finance A Good Career Path?
The short answer is yes. Finance can be a very lucrative and fulfilling career option. While most people think of only banks when they hear the word ‘finance’, there is so much more to this field. You can work in corporate finance, investment banking or even financial planning among others.
Finance is one of the most lucrative fields out there. It offers umpteen opportunities to earn and also climb up the corporate ladder quite swiftly. However, that’s not all. The job profile also involves working with large sums of money which can be both challenging and stimulating at the same time.
So, if you are someone who enjoys numbers and statistics and has a desire to help others grow their wealth then finance can be the perfect career path for you.
Apart from full-time employment opportunities in this sector (discussed below), there are many companies offering internship opportunities for young professionals in Financing. These companies include:
- Grant Thornton LLP (US)
- Carr, Riggs & Ingram
- CBIZ MHM, LLC
- Baker Tilly US
- Wipfli LLP
- CohnReznick LLP
LinkedIn is a platform where you can find most of these internships opportunity such as:
- Accounting Intern
- Tax Intern
- Audit Intern
- Summer Intern
- Finance Intern
- Claims Representative
- Actuarial Intern
- Tax Specialist
- Property Specialist
What Skills Do You Need In Finance?
While anyone with a degree in finance can enter this field and start working right away, certain soft skills will help you stand out from the crowd. Soft skills like:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to persuade others
- People management
- Legal knowledge
Highest Paying Jobs in Finance Sector
1. Financial Consultant
To be successful as a Financial Consultant, you should be able to offer sound financial advice. Ultimately, an outstanding Financial Consultant should have a deep knowledge of finance and be able to provide the best options for each client.
Financial Consultant Responsibilities include:
- Meeting with clients to determine their financial goals.
- Conducting market research to find the best investment opportunities.
- Explaining the pros and cons of different investment strategies.
- Explaining investment products and services.
- Recommending certain investments based on clients’ preferences.
- Addressing clients’ concerns and questions in a timely manner.
- Maintaining solid relationships with clients by providing them with excellent service.
The average salary for a Financial Consultant is $74179 per year in the United States.
2. Portfolio Manager
A portfolio manager is responsible for making investment decisions for an individual or company. They often work with large sums of money, such as for companies, trusts, insurance firms or pension funds. A portfolio manager may invest directly in individual securities like stocks or bonds, or they may invest indirectly by putting money into mutual funds, hedge funds or other asset-management vehicles. Portfolio managers are typically paid based on the amount of money they manage and their performance relative to the overall market.
The estimated total pay for a Portfolio-Manager is $106,172 per year in the United States
3. Investment Banker
Investment banking is one of the most attractive career options. It provides a lucrative salary, an exciting job profile and fast-paced life. Investment bankers help their clients raise money in capital markets by issuing debt or selling equity in the companies. Other job duties include assisting clients with mergers and acquisitions (M&As) and advising them on unique investment opportunities such as derivatives.
Investment banking has the potential to make you very rich, but it’s not for everyone.
- Investment banking is a high-pressure job where you work long hours and get paid well for it. The pressure is intense because bankers are responsible for managing large sums of money, so even small mistakes can lead to huge losses.
- There are thousands of talented students who want to become investment bankers, so getting selected at one of the best banks is tough. If you want to gain an edge over your competitors, start preparing early by learning about finance, practising technical skills and improving your soft skills.
The national average salary for an Investment-Banker is $80,540 per year in the United States
4. Risk Manager
This role is responsible for managing complex relationships with key insurance providers and external insurance brokers to ensure the organization is appropriately covered. The Risk Manager will also be responsible for the development and maintenance of a robust risk management framework and program (including policies, procedures, training, and internal awareness), ensuring that the organization is adequately protected from a broad range of potential risks. This position will partner with various business units to incorporate risk management principles into their business planning processes.
The base salary for a Risk Manager ranges from $103,681 to $137,761 with the average base salary of $119,498.
5. Credit Analyst
Credit analysts are tasked with evaluating potential borrowers’ financial histories in order to determine the level of risk associated with approving the borrower for a loan. They analyze a borrower’s current debt levels and payment history, as well as projected cash flows for the period that the loan will be outstanding.
The job of a credit analyst includes:
- Compiling data on a company’s operations, including how much money it takes in, who owns it, what kind of assets it has and how much it owes.
- Analyzing this data to determine whether the company is profitable enough to make payments on the loan. This requires knowledge of the industry in which the company operates.
- Rating the company’s creditworthiness, based on past payment history and overall financial condition.
- Recommending whether a loan should be granted.
Top paying industries for Credit Analysts as of May 2021 According to bls.gov
|Industry||Employment||Per cent of industry employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Monetary Authorities-Central Bank||60||0.31||$ 65.80||$ 136,860|
|Securities, Commodity Contracts, and Other Financial Investments and Related Activities||4,250||0.44||$ 59.98||$ 124,770|
|Automotive Equipment Rental and Leasing||–||–||$ 49.68||$ 103,340|
|Business Support Services||1,270||0.15||$ 48.69||$ 101,260|
|Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services||250||0.02||$ 47.41||$ 98,610|
6. Financial analyst
The role of a financial analyst involves analyzing financial data and recommending investment options to clients based on their needs and preferences. They study market trends, performances of various sectors, etc., in order to make informed decisions about investments.
Financial Analyst’s Salary Structure According to bls.gov
|Financial Analysts||Average Salary Per Year|
|United State||$83,660 per year$40.22 per hour|
|Hong Kong||$65,320 ($509,065 Hong Kong Dollars)|
|Singapore||$67,107 ($92,908 Singapore Dollars)|
|Sydney||$103,069 ($136,878 Australia Dollars)|
|New Delhi||$10,600 (682,544 Indian Rupees)|
|Frankfurt||$72,917 (65,130 Euro)|
|London||$78,939 (61,913 British Pound|
Finance is a very lucrative career. It is high-paying, and it can be very rewarding as well. What makes it so great are the opportunities it offers. Finance is a broad area, and there are many options within it. So, you can choose an option that suits you best. Also, you may not have to start from scratch – your experience in one field could help in another.
Finance is also exciting. It involves a lot of risk and uncertainty – which may be daunting for some people, but for others, this will be thrilling. But you need to be able to handle the pressure that comes with it. You will also have to work with complex numbers and deal with people who may have different personalities than yours.
Read Related Articles…
- Is Major Chemicals a Good Career Path in 2022? [Check Pros & Cons]
- Is Human Resources a Good Career? [check for pros&cons]
- Is Homebuilding a Good Career Path? [Check Pros & Cons]
- Should I Accept an Internship Outside of My Field of Study?
- Is Investment Manager a Good Career Path?
- List of Career Opportunities in Nursing
- List of Internship Programs for College Students [Fully-Funded & Paid]
- Best Paying Jobs for College Students [Work & Study Plan]
- Is Digital Marketing A Good Career Path?
- 12 Career opportunities in Business Studies
- Is Marine Transportation a Good Career Path?
- Is Business Analyst a Good Career?
- Is Major Bank A Good Career Path?
- Is Property-Casualty Insurers a Good Career Path? [see pros&cons]
- Career Opportunities In Plant Science And Biotechnology
- Career Path Opportunities for Commerce Students
- Best Paying Jobs In Technology [10 Career Opportunities In Technology]
- Is Cybersecurity a Good Career Choice? [Get Answers Here]
- Is Public Utilities a Good Career Path?
- Is Electric Utilities Central a Good Career Path?
- Is Healthcare a Good Career Path?
- Is Transportation a Good Career Path? [Find Out Now]
- Is Oil & Gas Production a Good Career Path?
- Is Real Estate Investment Trusts A Good Career Path?
- Is Energy a Good Career Path?
- Is Finance a Good Career Path in 2022? Find out
- Is Basic Industry a Good Career Path? Find out Here
- Best Paying Jobs In Computer Software Prepackaged Software 2022
- Best Paying Jobs in Precious Metals 2022
- Is Telecommunications Equipment a Good Career Path? [see the pros&cons]