Pharmacists are healthcare professionals or medication experts who prescribe medications to people by following physicians’ or doctors’ prescriptions. They play a critical role in helping people get the best results from their medications by offering expertise in the safe use of prescription and non-prescription medications, ensuring medicines and doses are correct, preventing harmful drug interactions, advice on drug selection, and counselling patients on the safe and appropriate use of their medications.
Top of the responsibility of Pharmacists is supervising drug production and ensuring that manufactured drugs meet the requirements as specified in the official compendium and conventional requirements before they are supplied to patients from drug manufacturers. They also oversee and supervise the drug supply chain and ensure that the supply of drugs is within the law.
How Much Money Do Pharmacists Make?
According to Salary.com, the national average yearly wage of a pharmacist in the United States is $136,088. Although this average value usually varies from state to state in the US, depending on not just location but education, certifications, additional skills, and the number of years spent in the profession, the range typically falls between $128,232 and $144,946.
Generally speaking, even the lower end of a pharmaceutical expert’s salary is still much higher than the median annual salary for all occupations, which according to salary explorers, is put at $92,900.
Employment of pharmacists, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, BLS, is projected to show little or no change, with only about 100 pharmacist jobs being lost from 2018 to 2028.
According to BLS, the health care and personal care stores industry has the highest employment rate in the pharmaceutical industry, with a value of about 14%. See the table below.
Industries with the highest concentration of employment in Pharmacists:
|Industry||Employment||Per cent of industry employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Health and Personal Care Stores||135,070||13.99||$ 59.07||$ 122,860|
|Merchant Wholesalers, Nondurable Goods (4242 and 4246 only)||7,470||1.99||$ 59.84||$ 124,470|
|Speciality (except Psychiatric and Substance Abuse) Hospitals||3,990||1.49||$ 60.74||$ 126,330|
|General Medical and Surgical Hospitals||78,940||1.41||$ 61.69||$ 128,310|
|Electronic Shopping and Mail-Order Houses||4,790||1.16||$ 62.01||$ 128,990|
States with the highest employment level in Pharmacists:
|State||Employment||Employment per thousand jobs||Location quotient||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|California||32,520||1.98||0.87||$ 70.22||$ 146,070|
|Texas||23,150||1.91||0.84||$ 60.32||$ 125,470|
|Florida||20,200||2.39||1.05||$ 58.32||$ 121,310|
|New York||19,460||2.24||0.99||$ 58.24||$ 121,150|
|Pennsylvania||14,900||2.70||1.19||$ 58.28||$ 121,230|
However, data from salary.com shows a very little deviation from that of BLS’s Annual Mean Wages and below, we have listed the:
- Top 10 highest paying states for pharmacists in the United States
- 10 states with the least salary in the United States for pharmaceuticals
- The average pharmacist salary in each U.S. state as of May 28, 2020.
BLS reported an annual mean wage of $146,070 against $152,011 for California. These differences are common in data analysis and are mostly due to the mode of collection and available data collected for analysis. Again, this gives you an idea of what the industry looks like and what to expect.
10 States where pharmacists earn the most money yearly in the US
1. California: $152,011
2. Alaska: $151,493
3. New Jersey: $150,459
4. Massachusetts: $148,064
5. Connecticut: 147,248
6. New York: $146,023
7. Washington: $145,342
8. Rhode Island: $143,437
9. Delaware: $142,893
10. Hawaii: $142,784
10 States where pharmacists earn the least money in the US
Below is a list of states where pharmacists make the least money in the United States:
1. South Dakota: $116,492
2. Mississippi: $118,397
3. West Virginia: $120,574
4. Wyoming: $121,119
5. Montana: $123,364
6. Tennessee: $123,636
7. New Mexico: $124,385
8. Nebraska: $124,793
9. Arkansas: $125,509
10. South Carolina: $127,379
Although you can say that these annual wages are below the yearly national average wage for pharmacists, they’re still considerably higher than the average income for most of the occupations in the US. One thing you should know is that the salary structure of each state in the united state of America is not static and are subject to review.
Average pharmacist Salary for each state in the US
The average salary data presented below in this table was collected in 2020 to guide and give you an idea of pharmacists’ salaries structures according to each state in the US:
|States||Annual average Pharmacist salary ($)|
|Pharmacist salary Alabama||127,515|
|Pharmacist salary Alaska||151,493|
|Pharmacist salary Arizona||134,849|
|Pharmacist salary Arkansas||125,509|
|Pharmacist salary California||152,011|
|Pharmacist salary Colorado||135,680|
|Pharmacist salary Connecticut||147,248|
|Pharmacist salary Delaware||142,893|
|Pharmacist salary Florida||129,284|
|Pharmacist salary Georgia||134,616|
|Pharmacist salary Hawaii||142,784|
|Pharmacist salary Idaho||128,443|
|Pharmacist salary Illinois||139,763|
|Pharmacist salary Indiana||132,958|
|Pharmacist salary Iowa||130,236|
|Pharmacist salary Kansas||129,148|
|Pharmacist salary Kentucky||128,059|
|Pharmacist salary Louisiana||130,373|
|Pharmacist salary Maine||131,189|
|Pharmacist salary Maryland||140,315|
|Pharmacist salary Massachusetts||148,064|
|Pharmacist salary Michigan||136,197|
|Pharmacist salary Minnesota||139,218|
|Pharmacist salary Mississippi||118,397|
|Pharmacist salary Missouri||129,692|
|Pharmacist salary Montana||123,364|
|Pharmacist salary Nebraska||124,793|
|Pharmacist salary Nevada||141,055|
|Pharmacist salary New Hampshire||138,130|
|Pharmacist salary New Jersey||150,459|
|Pharmacist salary New Mexico||124,385|
|Pharmacist salary New York||146,023|
|Pharmacist salary North Carolina||129,828|
|Pharmacist salary North Dakota||127,787|
|Pharmacist salary Ohio||132,877|
|Pharmacist salary Oklahoma||127,923|
|Pharmacist salary Oregon||135,544|
|Pharmacist salary Pennsylvania||135,816|
|Pharmacist salary Rhode Island||143,437|
|Pharmacist salary South Carolina||127,379|
|Pharmacist salary South Dakota||116,492|
|Pharmacist salary Tennessee||123,636|
|Pharmacist salary Texas||133,635|
|Pharmacist salary Utah||128,934|
|Pharmacist salary Vermont||131,053|
|Pharmacist salary Virginia||135,272|
|Pharmacist salary Washington||145,342|
|Pharmacist salary West Virginia||120,574|
|Pharmacist salary Wisconsin||134,047|
|Pharmacist salary Wyoming||121,119|
Read Related Articles…
- Is Major Chemicals a Good Career Path in 2022? [Check Pros & Cons]
- Is Human Resources a Good Career? [check for pros&cons]
- Is Homebuilding a Good Career Path? [Check Pros & Cons]
- Should I Accept an Internship Outside of My Field of Study?
- Is Investment Manager a Good Career Path?
- List of Career Opportunities in Nursing
- List of Internship Programs for College Students [Fully-Funded & Paid]
- Best Paying Jobs for College Students [Work & Study Plan]
- Is Digital Marketing A Good Career Path?
- 12 Career opportunities in Business Studies
- Is Marine Transportation a Good Career Path?
- Is Business Analyst a Good Career?
- Is Major Bank A Good Career Path?
- Is Property-Casualty Insurers a Good Career Path? [see pros&cons]
- Career Opportunities In Plant Science And Biotechnology
- Career Path Opportunities for Commerce Students
- Best Paying Jobs In Technology [10 Career Opportunities In Technology]
- Is Cybersecurity a Good Career Choice? [Get Answers Here]
- Is Public Utilities a Good Career Path?
- Is Electric Utilities Central a Good Career Path?
- Is Healthcare a Good Career Path?
- Is Transportation a Good Career Path? [Find Out Now]
- Is Oil & Gas Production a Good Career Path?
- Is Real Estate Investment Trusts A Good Career Path?
- Is Energy a Good Career Path?
- Is Finance a Good Career Path in 2022? Find out
- Is Basic Industry a Good Career Path? Find out Here
- Best Paying Jobs In Computer Software Prepackaged Software 2022
- Best Paying Jobs in Precious Metals 2022
- Is Telecommunications Equipment a Good Career Path? [see the pros&cons]