The Study in Canada Scholarships program is facilitated through institutional collaborations and student exchange agreements between post-secondary institutions (colleges, technical or vocational institutes, and universities in Canada) in the following eligible countries/territories:
Tanzania, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Algeria, Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kenya, Libya, Morocco, Nepal, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Taiwan, and Ukraine.
You will find information about Canadian scholarships and how to submit online applications successfully in this article.
Interested candidates must be registered as full-time students in their home institution in the listed countries at the time of applying and during the entire duration of their study or research stay in Canada.
Recommended Reading: Google Lime Scholarship Award 2021/2022
Read Also: Scholarships Opportunity in Canada
- 1 Roles and Responsibilities of Canadian Institutions in the Canadian Scholarships Process
- 2 Information to non-Canadian candidates from eligible countries/territories
- 3 Information to non-Canadian institutions from eligible countries/territories
- 4 Canadian Scholarship Award value and duration
- 5 Eligibility
- 6 Supporting documents
- 7 Selection Process
- 8 Check Other Scholarship Opportunities 2022
Roles and Responsibilities of Canadian Institutions in the Canadian Scholarships Process
The Canadian institution roles and responsibilities in the Canadian scholarships are helping eligible candidates to forward applications from institutions in the eligible countries/territories.
They are to promote the scholarship opportunity to their faculty and staff members, as well as to partner institutions from the eligible countries/territories.
Canadian institutions with successful candidates are expected to identify one staff member who will be responsible for the administration of the program and another one with delegated signing authority.
The Canadian institution will be the one to receive contribution funding from Global Affairs Canada to disburse as scholarships to recipients.
Information to non-Canadian candidates from eligible countries/territories
Interested candidates can contact their home institution to:
- make their interest known and find out if there is an existing institutional collaboration with a Canadian institution;
- request information about the application process, selection criteria, and required documents.
Selected candidates are encouraged to:
- submit their visa application as early as possible by following the procedures laid out by the immigration department;
- contact alumni for advice about the application;
- fulfill the general requirements and provide the supporting documents required by the Canadian institution;
- initiate the transfer of credits to their home institution.
NOTE: qualified candidates are expected to return to their home institutions after the scholarship duration to complete their studies.
Information to non-Canadian institutions from eligible countries/territories
Non-Canadian institutions are encouraged to:
- explore institutional collaborations and student exchange agreements between the home institution and Canadian institution;
- promote the opportunity through their international offices;
- identify candidates who meet the admission requirements for the Canadian partner institution;
- Forward the supporting documents from the candidates to the Canadian institution, who will then submit the scholarship applications; and
- Advice selected students to work on their linguistic, academic, and intercultural skills before their departure date.
Canadian Scholarship Award value and duration
Study in Canada Scholarships fund is made available through the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) by Global Affairs Canada.
The Canadian institution receives the funds from DFATD on behalf of the successful candidates in the form of a contribution agreement. The institution is saddled with the responsibility of providing the scholarship funds to the recipients.
Note that the Canadian scholarship award value varies depending on the duration of studies:
A total sum of CAD 10,200 is awarded for college, undergraduate, or graduate students (Master’s and Ph.D.) for a minimum of four months or one academic term of study or research while a sum of CAD 12,700 is awarded for graduate students (Master’s and Ph.D.) for a period of five to six months of study or research.
Interested candidates must be citizens of one of the following eligible countries or territories:
Asia: Bangladesh, Nepal, Taiwan
Europe: Turkey, Ukraine
The Middle East and North Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia
Sub-Saharan Africa: Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda
- must be full-time students enrolled at any post-secondary institution in the eligible countries/territories listed above. He or she must be paying the tuition fees required by the institution at the time of applying and for the full duration of the exchange;
- Candidates who hold Canadian citizenship or permanent residency, or who have a pending application for permanent residency in Canada are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates who are already participating in an exchange scholarship program organized and funded by the Canadian Government are not eligible; and
- Candidates who are already enrolled in a post-secondary institution in Canada undertaking a program are not eligible.
Deadline for Canadian institutions
The deadline for Canadian institutions to submit online applications on behalf of candidates is 11:59 p.m. EDT, March 30, 2021.
The Canadian institution must ensure that all supporting documents listed below are received on or before the deadline.
To avoid candidates missing out, all Canadian institutions are to establish an earlier deadline within which both the candidate and the home institution can receive and prepare the required document, including the time needed to complete and submit online.
Deadline for candidates and non-Canadian institutions
Interested applicants are advised to be in contact with their home institution to know the deadlines set by the Canadian institution.
To be eligible for the Canadian scholarships, interested candidates must provide the following documents, upload and attach them to the online application form in any of the following file formats:
.pdf, .jpg, .doc, .docx, .txt or .gif. Each document must be smaller than 5 MB in order for the application to upload successfully.
Proof of citizenship/identity: candidates must submit a copy of their identification card to be eligible for the scholarship. This personal means of identification can be an international passport or national identity card with valid dates and photos.
Note that your driver’s license, permanent residence card, work permit, student card, health card, birth certificate, or baptism certificate are not accepted as a valid means of citizenship/identification.
Proof of full-time enrolment: your home institution must write a letter either in English or French with the institution’s official letterhead and dated within the last six months (maximum of one page). This will be a confirmation that the candidate is currently enrolled in a full-time program.
Letter of support from the home institution: this is different from the letter of full-time enrollment from your institution. It’s the letter from the candidate’s instructor, professor, or international director written in French or English and using the institution’s official letterhead to explain the nature of study or research to be undertaken in Canada.
The letter should also include how the candidate and the home institution will benefit from the scholarship program (maximum of one page).
Letter of invitation from the Canadian supervisor: graduate students applying for research scholarships must include a letter from the Canadian supervisor indicating their willingness to support and mentor the candidate.
To ensure that all the applications received to meet the eligibility requirements established for the program, all online applications are pre-screened.
After the screening, candidates who are eligible and have completed their applications, including submitting the supporting documents stated above will be evaluated based on a set of criteria highlighted below:
- The merit of the research or study to be undertaken in Canada;
- The benefit to the home institution and peers;
- The benefit to the Canadian institution, supervisor, and peers; and
- strength of linkages to be created through the proposed exchange.
The Canadian institution each has its institutional strategic priorities and will be required to rank its eligible applicants based on them.
For more information, kindly follow this link
Check Other Scholarship Opportunities 2022
- Best Australian University for Psychology 2022
- 16 Best Nursing University in Australia 2022
- Best Universities in Nigeria [2022 Ranking Update]
- Best University for Psychology in UK [2022 Global Ranking]
- 10 Best Medical University in UK 2022
- Best University for Physiotherapy in UK 2022
- Best Universities for Finance in UK 2022
- #17 Best Universities for Biomedical Sciences in the UK
- 16 Best Universities for Criminology in UK [2022 Updated]
- #20 Best Universities for Biology in the UK
- Best Universities in France [2022 Global Ranking Update]
- Swarthmore Acceptance Rate & Admission Requirements 2022
- Is Major Chemicals a Good Career Path in 2022? [Check Pros & Cons]
- University of Tampa Acceptance Rate & Admission Requirements
- Boston University Acceptance Rate 2022
- Georgia Tech Acceptance Rate & Transfer Requirements 2022
- Catholic University Acceptance Rate 2022
- Is Human Resources a Good Career? [check for pros&cons]
- Is Homebuilding a Good Career Path? [Check Pros & Cons]
- Should I Accept an Internship Outside of My Field of Study?
- MCAT Cost 2022: How Much Does it Cost to Apply for Medical School?
- How to Borrow Money (Loan) From Cash App 2022
- What Is Trade School & How Do You Apply To Trade Schools?
- Applying for a Loan Online or In-Person: Which Should You Go for?
- Is Investment Manager a Good Career Path?
- List of Career Opportunities in Nursing
- Investment Opportunities in Nigeria: Best Ways to Invest Money in 2022
- List of Agricultural Investment Platforms in Nigeria 2022
- Top 75+ Low Investment High-Profit Business Ideas
- POS Agent: How to Operate POS Machine in Nigeria