Welcome to my business idea series. This is different from the normal foodie pages you come across on the internet.
What most of the foodie websites out there will not tell you is what we are covering in this article. Nothing special but we are going to show you not just how to make peanut burgers for fun or your own consumption but sales.
Do you know you can make peanut burgers and turn them into a business?
Now the question is what exactly do you need to get started?
Stay with me on this page. Let’s kick it right away with what peanut burger is and how it looks…
- 1 What is Peanut Burger?
- 2 How to start the Delicious Nigerian Peanut Burger Business
- 3 What you need to get started making Peanut Burger
- 4 Instructions on how to make Peanut Burger
- 5 How to Store and Package Peanut Burger
What is Peanut Burger?
Coming to West African and down to our own homeland, Nigeria, a peanut burger is a common snack loved by both kids and adults. It is different from hamburgers and is made by coating groundnuts and deep-frying them.
Almost everywhere on the streets of Nigeria, you will find this tasty, crunchy snack. But even at that, the survey shows that the daily demand still surpasses the supply, which then opens up business opportunities for you and me to tap into.
The interesting part is that it is easy, inexpensive and irresistible to the mouth.
How to start the Delicious Nigerian Peanut Burger Business
Start small think big
Starting a business requires a strategic plan. While it’s good to think big and document those ideas coming into your mind, it is best to start on a small scale whether it’s peanut burgers or chinchin or cakes.
This is because not all business ideas that cross your mind are for you. But how would you know the one that will favour you if you don’t test? This is why I advise startups to always start small. Perhaps if that business is not for you or favour you, you would have little to lose compared to when you have made a big investment only to realise it’s not your calling.
Although, operating on a small scale will not yield much profit, but every business out there started small. They sacrifice money to invest and commit their time and energy with the belief that it can only get better.
Check out this online businesses that can earn you N10,000 daily as a student or even as a teenager. Adults can benefit too.
Create a Business Plan
It’s always good to start with a pen and paper. Document your ideas, and plan on the best strategy that you will need to execute it.
Your business plan must also include the finances; plans on how to source funds. Do you have a family member who can support you, or is it a friend that you think is in a better position to help? Or you think you might need to take a small loan to start, just plan!
It is tough to start a business and nurture it but where there is a solid plan, you can expect light at the end of the tunnel.
Conduct Market Research
Don’t Start a peanut business production without carrying out personal research. Look and analyze the environment, identify your local competitors – find out how they brand and package their peanuts products.
Peanut burger making.
What you need to get started making Peanut Burger
Here are the basic things that you need to start making peanut burgers and earn daily income.
- Stove, gas cooker or even firewood; anything to generate heat.
- A large frying pot
- A Big Frying Spoon.
- One big iron sieve.
- One big and one small rubber or stainless bowl.
- 1 big tray for sorting groundnuts.
- 3 cups raw peanuts (groundnuts)
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 or 3 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- A sachet of milk flavour, vanilla flavour and ground nutmeg, each.
- Medium-sized cooking margarine (butter)
- ½ cup of powdered milk.
This quantity is to get you familiar with the procedure and build your confidence into making it on a large scale as a business.
Instructions on how to make Peanut Burger
- I like to buy the raw groundnuts because it’s cheaper but you can also use the already roasted one that you buy in the market. If you’re buying raw groundnuts, you will have to roast first. You must roast the groundnut first before making the peanut burger; raw groundnuts won’t cook through.
- To add flavour, start by soaking the groundnuts in hot water for about 15 minutes, drain the water and leave it for about 1 hour to dry. You can add a drop of vanilla to the egg mixture. Or add 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg or you can choose to go with powdered milk just add a teaspoon to the flour and then mix.
- Take out your frying pan, add a small amount of salt and together roast the groundnuts until they are brown.
- Once brown, pour it out in a tray and allow it to cool.
- Now break the eggs, add salt and sugar, and whisk together in a separate bowl.
- Take out a bigger bowl, which you will pour in the roasted peanuts and add 1 tablespoon of the whisked egg and mix with the peanuts.
- Now add 1 tablespoon of flour and toss.
- Note that we have not said that you should put everything at once here. This is because we want the flour, and the whisked eggs to form a fine coat on the peanuts. Therefore, repeat this process for the remaining groundnuts and your whisked eggs.
- Now time to heat the oil and fry the thinly coated peanuts to brown.
- That’s it, you just made a tasty crunchy peanut burger.
How to Store and Package Peanut Burger
How you package your peanut burger will affect the overall branding.
If you have carried out research you will know what and how those who have been doing it before you are packaging theirs. So for you to stand out of the crowd, and be unique you need to think about the packaging of your peanut burger.
Do you want to use a jar or a nylon package?
While a jar will contain a large amount of peanut and thereby be more expensive than a sachet, you should understand your environment and the people living around there.
Base on your audience you can package it in N50 or N100 per pack. If you’ve got a supermarket or mini-mart around, you could put some in the market probably in a jar and sell for N200 to N500.
You can also use the regular bottle sizes; 50cl and/or 75cl bottles. Make sure to carry out a price analysis before you tag a price on your peanut burger.
Get a label for your Peanut Burger
Logo or label is part of branding but is not branding. Get a good graphic designer to make a good logo for your brand.
Consider investing in a good sealing machine. Although you can start with a stapler to pin the sachets together.
See Also: How to make money reading news online