Best Universities in Nigeria According to Global Ranking 2023
|Ranking||World Rank||Best Universities in Nigeria|
|1||1231||University of Ibadan|
|2||1370||Covenant University Ota|
|3||1477||Obafemi Awolowo University|
|4||1622||University of Nigeria|
|5||1766||University of Lagos|
|6||1923||University of Port Harcourt|
|7||2252||Federal University of Technology Akure|
|8||2262||Ahmadu Bello University|
|10||2577||Federal University of Technology Minna|
|11||2877||Bayero University Kano|
|12||3146||Ladoke Akintola University of Technology|
|13||3159||University of Benin|
|14||3172||Ekiti State University Ado Ekiti (University of Ado Ekiti)|
|15||3315||University of Calabar|
|16||3432||University of Uyo|
|17||3432||Adekunle Ajasin University|
|18||3464||Nnamdi Azikiwe University|
|19||3533||University of Ilorin|
|20||3606||Federal University of Technology Owerri|
|21||3656||Lagos State University|
|22||3711||University of Jos|
|23||3790||Federal University Dutse Jigawa State|
|24||3848||University of Abuja|
|25||3914||Olabisi Onabanjo University (Ogun State University)|
|26||3923||Federal University Oye Ekiti Ekiti State|
|27||3954||University of Maiduguri|
|28||3992||Usmanu Danfodiyo University|
|30||4168||Ebonyi State University|
|31||4210||University of Agriculture Abeokuta|
|32||4414||Kwara State University|
|33||4440||Osun State University|
|34||4504||Federal University of Petroleum Resources Effurun|
|35||4538||Delta State University Nigeria|
|36||4572||Rivers State University of Science & Technology|
|37||4738||Niger Delta University|
|38||4894||Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma|
|39||5067||Modibbo Adama University of Technology Yola (Federal University of Technology)|
|40||5149||Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University|
|41||5188||African University of Science & Technology Abuja|
|42||5254||Federal University Lokoja Kogi State|
|43||5272||Imo State University Owerri|
|44||5356||Cross River State University of Science & Technology Calabar|
|45||5619||Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi|
|46||5658||Kogi State University|
|47||5658||National Open University of Nigeria|
|48||5754||Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike|
|49||5897||American University of Nigeria|
|50||6456||Skyline University Nigeria|
|51||6504||Enugu State University of Science & Technology|
|53||6729||Federal University Lafia Nasarawa State|
|54||6854||Joseph Ayo Babalola University|
|55||6901||Abia State University Uturu|
|56||6911||Federal University Kashere Gombe State|
|57||7001||Federal University Ndufu Alike Ikwo FUNAI|
|58||7101||Nasarawa State University|
|59||7182||(1) Kebbi State University of Science and Technology KSUSTA|
|60||7608||Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (Katsina State University)|
|61||7763||Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna|
|62||7908||Benue State University|
|63||7949||Pan African University Lagos|
|64||7949||Igbinedion University Okada|
|65||8115||Lagos Business School Pan Atlantic University|
|66||8161||Yaba College of Technology|
|67||8247||University of Medical Sciences Ondo|
|68||8283||Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University (Anambra State University of Science & Technology Uli)|
|69||8292||Southwestern University Oku Owa|
|71||8309||Baze University Kuchigoro|
|72||8367||Federal University Dutsin Ma|
|74||8415||Federal University Otuoke Bayelsa|
|75||8503||Kaduna State University|
|76||8521||Tai Solarin University of Education|
|77||8521||Edo University Iyamho|
|78||8583||Godfrey Okoye University|
|79||8603||Akwa Ibom State University of Technology|
|80||8646||Nile University of Nigeria (Nigerian Turkish Nile University Abuja)|
|81||9142||Ajayi Crowther University Oyo|
|82||9173||Bingham University New Karu|
|83||9222||Kano University of Science & Technology Wudil|
|84||9246||Mountain Top University|
|85||9283||Bells University of Technology Otta|
|86||9296||Lead City University Ibadan|
|87||9296||Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University Lapai|
|88||9559||Benson Idahosa University|
|89||9559||Adeleke University Ede|
|91||9586||Madonna University Nigeria|
|92||9661||(3) Lagos State University College of Medicine|
|93||9699||Elizade University Ilara Mokin|
|94||9944||Federal University Wukari Taraba State|
|95||10011||Gombe State University Gombe|
|97||10331||Technical University Ibadan|
|100||10486||Kings University Odeomu|
Top 12 Best Universities in Nigeria 2022
1. University of Ibadan
The University of Ibadan (U.I. ), which is situated in the city of Ibadan in Oyo, is Nigeria’s most prestigious university. It was established in 1948 as a public research institute and a member of the University of London. Three years after Nigeria gained independence, in 1963, it was designated as an independent university.
The school offers pre-degree programmes as well as undergraduate and graduate degrees. The university of Ibadan comprises 13 faculties with academic programmes.
Requirements for admission to the University of Ibadan
Below are the general admission requirements for UTME candidates:
- You must possess at least 5 Credit grades in five subjects (English and mathematics inclusive) in your O’level result(s). This could be WAEC/NECO/GEC or any equivalent result.
- You must make UI your first choice of institution during JAMB registration. UI does not consider second-choice candidates when offering admission.
- You must choose the recommended subject combination by the University of Ibadan for your courses in both the JAMB UTME and the post UTME examination of the university.
- You are expected to have a UTME examination score of 200 and above to be eligible for UI post UTME examination.
- You are required to purchase the university’s post UTME form, participate in the examination and gain a high score according to your department’s cut-off mark in order to gain admission.
Direct entry requirements:
- Direct entry candidates must possess at least 5 Credit grades in five subjects (English and mathematics inclusive) in their O’level result(s). This could be WAEC/NECO/GEC or any equivalent result.
- HND Holders must have a minimum of Upper credit in a relevant Discipline
- OND Holders are expected to have a minimum of Upper Credit in a relevant Discipline
- NCE candidates must have a minimum of two passes in a relevant discipline.
2. University of Nigeria Nsukka
Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe founded the University of Nigeria in 1955. The school was finally opened, though, on October 7th, 1960 with four campuses – Nsukka, Enugu, Ituku-Ozalla, and Aba. It is the first indigenous, fully independent institution in Nigeria and it is modelled after the American educational system.
Its mission is to advance the fundamental values that will guarantee the restoration of human dignity while leading global academic research and development, innovation, information transfer, and human resource development.
Requirements for admission to the University of Nigeria
Below are the general admission requirements for UTME candidates:
- Candidates must have at least 5 Credit grades in five subjects (English and Mathematics inclusive) in their O’level result(s). In this case, the O’level result could be WAEC/NECO/GCE or any other equivalent result.
- Candidates must make the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) their first choice of institution during JAMB registration. UNN does not accept second-choice candidates for admission.
- Candidates must be 16 years of age at the time admission is offered.
- Candidates are required to score at least 160 in the JAMB UTME examination as that will make them eligible to take the UNN post UTME examination.
- Candidates must participate in the UNN post UTME examination and must perform very well in the examination in order to be admitted.
Below are the requirements for direct entry candidates:
- Direct entry candidates who wish to gain admission into the prestigious University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) must purchase the university’s DE form through the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
- Direct entry candidates are also expected to make the University of Nigeria, Nsukka their first choice of institution during registration.
3. Covenant University
Covenant University is a private university established and operating under the Living Faith Church International. The university is located in Ota, Ogun State. It was founded with the goals of advancing Christian values and achieving academic achievement at the leading edge. A comprehensive, human development-focused, and integrated learning curriculum’s compelling objective of creating a new generation of African leaders serve as another source of inspiration.
Of the 16 applications for the establishment of private universities that were submitted to the National Universities Commission (NUC), it was claimed that the approval was the fastest in the commission’s history. The university was founded by the bishop of the Living Faith Church as a component of the Liberation Commission.
Requirements for admission to Covenant University
- A non-refundable application fee of N7,400
- Statement of purpose
- Letter of Sponsorship which is to be written and signed by Parents
- WAEC or NECO result with credit level passes in five (5) subjects, obtained at not more than two (2) sittings, which must include English Language and Mathematics.
- Candidates must obtain the JAMB forms, choose Covenant University and sit for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME)
- In addition, applicants must complete the Covenant University Application Forms, available online.
4. Obafemi Awolowo University
Obafemi Awolowo University was founded as a non-profit institution of higher learning in 1962. The Nigerian National Universities Commission granted formal approval to Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), a renowned institution for higher learning located in Ile-Ife, Osun State Nigeria.
Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) offers courses and programmes in a range of degree programmes, as well as pre- bachelor’s, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. The admissions process to get into the prestigious university is exam-based.
Requirements for admission to OAU
- Candidates must have at least five credit passes in their O’level results at the first sitting and six credit passes at two sittings.
- All eligible candidates must have scored 200 marks and above in the UTME examination.
- Candidates must meet the required cut-off mark for their respective departments in their Post UTME screening exam
5. University of Lagos
In 1962, the University of Lagos (UNILAG), was created as a public research university located in Lagos, Nigeria. Leading educational publications place UNILAG, among the top universities in the world. The college now has three campuses; while its college of medicine is located in Surulere’s Idi-Araba, two of its campuses—the main campus in Akoka and the recently constructed campus at the old school of radiography—are in Yaba. The Lagos lagoon mostly encircles its main campus, which is 802 acres large. Approximately 9,000 undergraduate students are admitted to the University of Lagos each year, with a total enrollment of about 57,000.
Requirements for admission to University of Lagos
Below are the general admission requirements for UTME candidates:
- You must have reached the age of 16
- You must possess at least 6 “Cs (Credits)” grades in your O’level result (s). This must include English Language, Mathematics and four other subjects related to your course of study.
- You are required to have UTME examination score of 200 or higher
- You must take the UNILAG post UTME screening examination and must meet the stipulated cutoff marks for your course to gain admission into the university.
- Not more than ONE sitting results is accepted for admission into the University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Also, you must choose the correct subject combination for their courses.
Below are the requirements for Direct Entry candidates:
- Applicants must possess at least five (5) Credits in their O’level result. This must include English Language and Mathematics. However, two sitting results are not allowed.
- Applicants must have also reached the age of 16.
- Applicants are expected to get a JAMB Direct Entry form from JAMB to apply.
- Applicants should have any of the following certificates: OND, ND, NCE, IJMB, Cambridge A level, BSc, HND, ICAN
6. Ahmadu Bello University
The Ahmadu Bello Institution, also known as ABU, is a federal research institution that is non-profit and located in Zaria, Kaduna state. Ahmadu Bello University was founded on October 4, 1962 and named after Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello’s, the first president of Nigeria.
Samaru, which acts as the main campus, and Kongo, which is situated in Zaria, Kaduna State, are the two campuses of the institution. The main campus is home to the physical sciences, biological sciences, social sciences, arts and languages, education, engineering, environmental design, medical sciences, agricultural sciences, and research facilities. On the second campus are the faculties of law and administration. The Faculty of Administration is made up of the Departments of Accounting, Business Administration, Local Government, Development Studies, and Public Administration.
Requirements for admission to Ahmadu Bello University
- Minimum of 5 credits in the Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations (SSCE/GCE) Ordinary Level Credits in a maximum of 2 sittings.
- Candidates must have ‘A’ level/IJMB passes in two subjects that are related to their area of study.
- JUPEB/A’ Level passes in Related subjects.
- Direct entry candidates are required to purchase the ABU Direct Entry form through the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) And ABU Portal.
- A minimum of Merit Pass in the National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma (ND) and other Advanced Level Certificates.
7. University of Ilorin
University of Ilorin is one of the seven institutions of higher learning established in 1975 as a result of Federal Military Government legislation. The decree was issued to carry out the Third National Development Plan for Nigeria’s education policies, which aimed to increase opportunities for Nigerians who were interested in pursuing higher education. One of Nigeria’s top universities is the University of Ilorin.
The first 200 students at UNILORIN began enrolling on October 23 1976. The institution offers various degree courses through the faculties of art, science, education, engineering, business, social science, and basic clinical sciences.
Requirements for admission to the University of Ilorin
- Candidates must have reached the age of 16
- Candidates must have at least 6 (six) “Cs (Credits)” grades in their O’level result (s)
- Candidates must score at least 180 in JAMB UTME examination
- Candidates must take the post UTME screening examination and must perform very well in the examination (Depending on the course of study)
- Not more than ONE sitting results is accepted for admission into the University of Ilorin (UIL)
- Candidates must also meet the stipulated cutoff marks for their courses to gain admission into the university
The University of Benin (UNIBEN) is located in the city of Benin, Edo state. As a public research university, UNIBEN is a well-known institution of higher learning – providing quality education and building future leaders. It is renowned for its collaborations with numerous foreign universities as well as regional and global institutions including USAID, Ford Foundation, UNCF, RMRDC, and others. The nation’s first female vice-chancellor graduated from the prestigious UNIBEN.
Requirements for admission to UNIBEN
- Candidates for undergraduate programs should possess the University matriculation requirement of Five O’ level credit passes including English Language at not more than two sittings in WASC, WAEC SSCE/GCE, NECO, SSCE or their recognized equivalents.
- First degree holders seeking admission into undergraduate programs must possess a second class honors (lower division) and also satisfy above for the respective programs.
- University of Benin Diploma holders seeking admission into Degree programs should have at least a Merit Level Pass.
- Diploma from other recognized Universities or OND from recognized Polytechnics/Colleges of Technology should be at least at the Upper Credit Level Pass
9. University of Abuja
University of Abuja is located in Abuja metropoli, the country’s capital. It was established in January 1988 as a dual-mode institution with the goal of providing both on-campus and online coursework. The University began its academic operations in 1990 with the admission of its first students. The University first operated out of three blocks of buildings in Gwagwalada that were designed to house a primary school.
In 1990, the mini-campus started hosting classes. In order to build its main campus, the university was then granted about 11,800 hectares of land near the Abuja city airport. In addition to a Center for Distance Learning School that provides university education to students who are unable to attend a traditional university, the school offers undergraduate, and postgraduate degree programmes.
Requirements for admission to University of Abuja
- Candidate must possess at least, 5 Credit grades (C) in WASSCE/NABTEB/NECO or any equivalent in five subjects (English and mathematics inclusive)
- Candidates are expected to make the University of Abuja (UNIABUJA) their first choice of institution
- Candidates are expected to choose the correct JAMB subject combination for their courses to gain admission
- Candidates must score at least, 180 in the JAMB UTME examination to be considered for admission
- UTME candidates must also purchase the university’s post UTME form and meet the cut off mark for their respective departments
10. University of Port Harcourt
The University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) is located in Choba in Port Harcourt, Rivers state, Nigeria. It was established in 1975 as University College, Port Harcourt and was given university status in 1977.
University of Port Harcourt offers various degree programs at various levels – science, social sciences, engineering etc. The university has a library, hostels, roads, and other good infrastructure like college buildings etc. Admission into this university is very competitive as the majority of students who apply don’t get admitted. It is one of the universities in Nigeria with the most application requests.
Requirements for admission to Uniport
- UTME Candidates must have at least 5 Credit grades in five subjects (Including English and mathematics) in their O’level result. This could be WAEC/NECO/GCE or any equivalent result.
- Candidates must be at least, 16 years of age
- Candidates must make the University of Port Harcourt their first choice of institution during JAMB registration.
- Candidates must score at least 180 in JAMB UTME examination
- Candidates are expected to choose the correct subject combination for their desired course to be offered admission.
- Candidates must purchase UNIPORT post UTME form, participate in the examination and meet the required cutoff mark for their chosen course
- UNIPORT does not offer candidates that have inconsistencies in the names or date of birth.
11. Federal University of Technology Akure
The Federal University of Technology Akure, also known as FUTA, was founded in 1981 as part of the government effort to create universities that focus on producing graduates with both a practical and academic understanding of technology. The University has maintained its growth by offering postgraduate, undergraduate, diploma, and certificate programmes through a number of colleges, departments, institutes, and divisions.
The Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA) offers courses and programmes that lead to degrees in a variety of study fields that are legally recognised as higher education, including pre-degrees, bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, and doctoral degrees.
Requirements for admission to FUTA
- Candidates must have reached the age of 16.
- Candidates must have at least 6 (six) “Cs (Credits)” grades in their O’level result (s). This must include English Language, Mathematics and three other subjects related to their course of study.
- Candidates must score at least 180 in the JAMB UTME examination
- Candidates must take the FUTA post UTME screening examination and must meet the cut-off mark for their course of study
- Not more than ONE sitting result is accepted for admission into the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA)
- Candidates must choose the correct subject combination for their courses.
12. Landmark University
Landmark University is a private institution of higher learning that was created in the year 2011 in Kwara State. The university was formed by the Living Faith Church. This institution of higher education, which has been operating for seven years, has rigorous admissions requirements, which include tests and evaluations of applicants’ previous academic achievement and grades.
The general overseer of the Living Faith Church, Dr David O. Oyedepo, also serves as the chancellor of the universities. Since the university offers scholarships to students from other countries, prospective students can use the website to determine whether or not they are eligible for the award based on their nationality. In addition, the school enforces stringent restrictions on student conduct and the type of dress students wear when they are on campus.
13. Federal University of Technology Minna
When this institution was established in 1983, its primary objective was to enhance the country’s autonomy in the areas of science, technology, and engineering. And it still maintains that one goal.
The permanent campus of the university can be found at Gidan-Kwano in Niger State on a parcel of land that spans 10,650 acres and is situated along the Minna – Kataeregi – Bida Road. Both the Association of Commonwealth Universities and the Association of African Universities count it as a member institution. Students at FUTMINNA have developed a number of different pieces of apparatus, including solar air warmers.
Check Related Best University…
- Best Universities in Nigeria According to Global Ranking 2023
- Should I Accept an Internship Outside of My Field of Study?
- Best Paying Jobs for College Students on a Work & Study Plan
- Top 100 Universities & Colleges With the Lowest Acceptance Rates in US
- 10 Best Technology Universities in Nigeria According to NUC Ranking 2023
- Top 10 Private Universities in Nigeria [NUC Ranking 2023]