Universities in the UK offer a range of degrees in finance. The UK is recognised as the global financial centre – making the nation a fantastic option for people looking to begin careers in this sector. It also has some of the best accounting and finance institutes and universities in the world according to the Global World Ranking of Universities.
The courses in Finance address more fundamental business challenges including operations and people management. Corporate finance, financial risk, management accounting, and auditing are among the topics taught in the degree program.
This article explains the best universities in the United Kingdom for finance. So if you are also interested, read on; you will find this page helpful with important information you need to know.
- 1 Why Study Finance in the UK?
- 2 Best Universities for Finance in the UK
- 2.1 1. The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- 2.2 2. The University of Oxford
- 2.3 3. The University of Cambridge
- 2.4 4. London Business School
- 2.5 5. The University of Manchester
- 2.6 6. Imperial College London
- 2.7 7. The University of Edinburgh
- 2.8 8. The University of Warwick
- 2.9 9. Lancaster University
- 2.10 10. City, University of London
- 2.11 11. University of Glasgow
- 2.12 12. University of Sussex
- 3 Top Universities for Masters in Finance in UK
- 4 Program Highlight for Masters of Finance in the UK
- 5 Why Study Masters in Finance in the UK
- 6 Careers in Accounting & Finance
Why Study Finance in the UK?
The number of international students studying finance in the UK has grown recently due to an increased demand for professionals in the field. With the assistance of professionals and internationally acclaimed research programmes, the institutions in the UK give you outstanding academic training including preparing you for the opportunities ahead of you. You will consequently acquire sector-specific skills and achieve a reputation at home and abroad.
Best Universities for Finance in the UK
1. The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
LSE is one of the biggest and most well-known universities offering students the opportunity to acquire a quality education in the financial sector. The London School of Economics and Political Science ranks first among the top universities for finance in the United Kingdom. Both domestic and international students can choose from a variety of bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes. Additionally, its research centres support student academic endeavours.
The London School of Economics and Political Science – Finance courses offered:
- BSc Accounting and Finance.
- BSc Finance.
- BSc Financial Mathematics and Statistics.
- MSc Accounting and Finance.
- MSc Risk and Finance.
2. The University of Oxford
There is a good reason why people consider Oxford University as their destination for quality education. And it’s not far from the fact that the institution has an unrivalled reputation, world-class academics, and superb research facility.
Its Business School gives you a variety of possibilities for obtaining qualifications in the field of economics and finance, and these options provide you with training in skills that are in great demand among financial institutions across the globe.
The University of Oxford – Finance courses offered:
- BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance.
- MSc Financial Economics.
- MSc Law and Finance.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Finance.
- MSc Mathematical and Computational Finance.
3. The University of Cambridge
Another top university in the UK known for its excellent course degree program in the field of Finance and Accounting is the University of Cambridge, The university was established in 1208 and is currently ranked fourth among the world’s oldest universities. This university is unlike any other on our list because it is both an autonomous academic community and one of the most prestigious academic centres in the entire globe.
The university is a member of the Russell Group, the European University Association (EUA), the G5 Universities, the Golden Triangle, the League of European Research Universities (LERU), the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and Universities UK, all of which contribute to its status as a top-tier educational institution.
The University of Cambridge- Finance courses offered:
- MPhil in Finance.
- Real Estate Finance (MFin).
- Master of Finance.
- Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA).
- Master of Business Administration (MBA).
- Master of Studies in Real Estate.
4. London Business School
The London Business School, also known as LBS, is a constituent of the University of London as well as a prestigious business school. It was established in 1964, and its students can earn master’s degrees in management and finance, as well as an MBA and a PhD. It is recognised as a world-class institution for business education and is one of the very few educational institutions anywhere in the world to have earned all three crowns (AACSB, EQUIS, and AMBA). In addition, the university is well-known throughout the business world for the exceptional quality of its MBA, MSc, and EMBA programmes.
London Business School – Finance courses offered:
- MA in Analytics and Management.
- MBA in Business Administration.
- MS in Finance.
- MS in Financial Analytics.
- MIM in Global Masters in Management.
- Masters in Management.
5. The University of Manchester
The University of Manchester has a stellar reputation in the academic world for the quality of its teaching in the fields of finance and accounting. The university is considered one of the best universities in the United Kingdom due to its excellent teaching and groundbreaking research.
Students that enrol in the BAEcon degree programme have the incredible opportunity to specialise in a field that combines accounting, economics, and finance. This university is a member of the Russell Group.
The University of Manchester – Finance courses offered:
- BSc (Hons) Management (Accounting and Finance).
- BAEcon Finance.
- BAEcon Economics and Finance.
- MSc Finance.
- MSc Quantitative Finance.
- MSc Mathematical Finance.
6. Imperial College London
Imperial College London Business School provide students with degree programmes that are pretty thorough and quantitative, with the goal of increasing the student’s overall skill worth. In addition to the high levels of student happiness and experience, the college’s research department has also authored a number of articles that have been published in the most prestigious publications in the United Kingdom. It is not surprising that it is ranked as the sixth-best college in the UK.
Imperial College London – Finance courses offered:
- Integrated Masters (MEng) in Computing (Management and Finance).
- BSc Mathematics with Statistics for Finance.
- MSc Financial Technology.
- MSc Finance.
- MSc Finance and Accounting.
- MSc Mathematics and Finance.
7. The University of Edinburgh
The fact that the qualifications that the University of Edinburgh offers to its students are validated by a variety of internationally known business education organisations is the best thing about the University of Edinburgh. The school Ranks seventh in terms of finance in the United Kingdom. Students are given the opportunity to gain both practical experience and academic knowledge of a variety of financial concepts through interactive learning and hands-on training provided by the institution. In addition to that, its research department contributes to practical education.
The University of Edinburgh- Finance courses offered:
- LLM International Banking Law and Finance.
- MA (Hons) Accounting and Finance.
- Financial Modeling and Optimization MSc.
- Computational Mathematical Finance MSc.
- Climate Change Finance and Investment MSc.
- Finance, Technology, and Policy MSc.
- PhD. Finance.
- Financial Technology PhD.
8. The University of Warwick
Accounting and Finance at the University of Warwick is a professionally-oriented qualification that equips students with the skills, knowledge, and self-assurance necessary to function effectively in the frenetic world of multinational corporations and worldwide financial markets. By selecting certain course combinations, students have the opportunity to earn exemptions from a variety of professional accounting exams.
The University of Warwick – Finance courses offered:
- MS in Finance and Economics.
- MS in Finance.
- PhD in Finance and Economics.
- BSc (Hons) in Accounting and Finance (with Foundation Year).
- BSc (Hons) in Accounting and Finance (with Foundation Year) with Placement Year.
- MSc (PG) in Business and Finance.
- BSc (Hons) in Economics.
- MS in Mathematical Finance.
9. Lancaster University
Lancaster University, which has since become a prominent institution in the field of higher education in the United Kingdom was established in the year 1964. It is a public research institution that has been ranked highly among the best universities in the United Kingdom by renowned publications like The Guardian and the Times. This accolade lends credence to the university’s already stellar reputation in the academic community. In addition to this, the QS World Ranking System has consistently placed it outside of the top 150 universities since 2017; however, it recently gain ranking moving to 132nd in 2022.
At Lancaster University, you will gain the hands-on experience necessary to become a future leader in this competitive and exciting field, and throughout the course of your degree, you will have a plethora of options to modify your course of study in accordance with how your interests develop.
The university starts you off by focusing on the fundamentals of finance theory and methods, and then gradually moves on to more complex topics such as programming for financial applications, portfolio management, international financial markets, and advanced corporate finance.
Lancaster University – Finance courses offered:
- BSc (Hons) in Finance.
- BSc (Hons) in Economics and Finance.
- BSc (Hons) in Accounting, Finance, and Mathematics (Industry).
- MS in Money, Banking, and Finance.
- MS in Quantitative Finance.
- PDIS in Economics.
- MS in Accounting and Financial Management.
- MS in Business Analytics.
Your first year includes Accounting and Finance, Quantitative Methods for Finance and Investment, plus Principles of Economic B.
Second-year students learn about Corporate Finance, Financial Engineering, Econometrics and Programming for Finance Applications.
In your final year, you choose all your modules, from Portfolio Management, Financial Markets, Bloomberg Analysis and Advanced Corporate Finance.
10. City, University of London
The City, University of London is a renowned educational institution that maintains robust connections with over 5000 global corporate industries and a student body that is comprised of individuals from over 160 countries. You will have access to a vast array of research opportunities thanks to the university’s five schools, forty centres and departments, and different world-class facilities. The faculty members are highly trained and dedicated to ensuring that you have a successful career and a comprehensive skill set.
The City, University of London – Finance courses offered:
- MS in Energy and Environmental Technology and Economics.
- BSc (Hons) in Investment and Financial Risk Management.
- BSc (Hons) in Investment and Financial Risk Management (with Professional Placement).
- BSc in Data Analytics and Actuarial Science (with Professional Placement).
- BSc (Hons) in Data Analytics and Actuarial Science.
- MA in Financial Journalism.
- MS in Financial Mathematics.
- MS in Behavioral Economics.
11. University of Glasgow
Due to its first-place ranking in Accounting, it is a fantastic choice for students who are interested in pursuing a career in accounting.
They provide a wide variety of four-year bachelor’s degrees in Accounting, Statistics, Finance, and Economics that involve coursework in a variety of different fields.
Not only has the University of Glasgow withstood the test of time, but it also values time as much as it does money – helping students to manage their time and prepare them to be resourceful in their future careers.
Additionally, it shines as one of the best teaching and research colleges in the world, and it is available for students who are serious about studying finance and accounting.
The beautiful University of Glasgow, which can be found in Scotland, United Kingdom, is located in Glasgow G12 8 QQ.
12. University of Sussex
They are well-known for having great graduation prospects, which speaks volumes about their quality. Students in some of their programmes are required to participate in a professional placement year as part of the curriculum. This not only provides students with the opportunity to get experience in a real-world setting but also ensures that students graduate with relevant experience.
While it is classified as one of the Top 50 institutions in the UK overall, this research-heavy university holds the 18th spot on the national list for its standing in this particular category.
According to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, the University of Sussex is happy to be ranked number 160 in the world despite having 17000 students enrolled in 500 different programmes of study (2021).
This well-liked campus in Sussex has been in operation since 1961. It extends beyond the municipal limits of Brighton and Hove, and it eventually fuses with the Lewis District on the city’s eastern boundary.
It has a strong presence in the neighbourhood around it and boasts an outstanding reputation on a global scale.
Top Universities for Masters in Finance in UK
|QS Subject Rankings: Finance 2022||Name of university||Degree offered||Annual tuition fees|
|1||University of Oxford||M.Sc in Financial Economics||£48,670|
|3||London Business School||M.Sc in Financial Analysis||£41,200|
|5||University of Cambridge||Master of Finance||£49,000|
|9||London School of Economics||M.Sc in Finance||£32,208|
|13||Imperial College Business School||M.Sc in Finance||£39,000|
|20||Warwick Business School||M.Sc in Finance||£38,250|
|24||Manchester (Alliance)||M.Sc in Finance||£32,000|
|27||University of Edinburgh Business School||Masters in Finance||£34,700|
|42||Cranfield School of Management||M.Sc in Finance and Management||£25,750|
|54||Lancaster University Management School||M.Sc in Finance||£25,360|
Program Highlight for Masters of Finance in the UK
|Top Universities||University of Oxford, London Business School, University of Cambridge, London School of Economics, Imperial College Business Schools|
|Duration||Nine months to one year|
|Average tuition fees||£34,700 – £47,000|
|Job positions||Financial Manager, Financial Analyst, Economist, Insurance or Real Estate Broker, Commercial or Investment Bankers, Tax Adviser|
|Top recruiting companies||Barclays, Google, HSBC, JP Morgan, UBS, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Black Rock,|
|Average annual salary||£1,15,000|
Why Study Masters in Finance in the UK
The pursuit of a master’s degree in Finance in the UK is often motivated in large part by a passionate interest in the market and previous academic preparation in the form of a bachelor’s degree. However, prior to that, students ought to be informed of the reasons why they should pursue a master’s degree in Finance in the United Kingdom.
Careers in Accounting & Finance
Graduates of accounting and finance programmes will have access to a wide variety of employment options in the public sector, the private sector, and nonprofit organisations. The financial sector, the insurance industry, and international corporations are among the largest employers. You have a wide variety of job options available to you; some examples include being a data analyst, auditor, forensic accountant, or retail banker.
Masters in Finance in the UK: Career Opportunities
|Job profile||Average Base Salary/year|
|Personal Financial Advisor||£43,284|
Find Related Articles Below…
- Best Australian University for Psychology
- 16 Best Nursing University in Australia
- Best Universities in Nigeria According to Global Ranking 2023
- Best University for Psychology in UK
- 10 Best Medical University in UK
- Best University for Physiotherapy in UK
- Best Universities for Finance in UK
- 17 Best Universities for Biomedical Sciences in UK
- 16 Best Universities for Criminology in UK
- 20 Best Universities for Biology in the UK
- Best Universities in France [Latest Global Ranking Update]
- Swarthmore Acceptance Rate & Admission Requirements
- University of Tampa Acceptance Rate & Admission Requirements
- Boston University Acceptance Rate
- Georgia Tech Acceptance Rate & Transfer Requirements
- Catholic University Acceptance Rate
- Should I Accept an Internship Outside of My Field of Study?
- How Much Does it Cost to Apply for Medical School?
- How to Apply to Trade Schools
- Best Paying Jobs for College Students on a Work & Study Plan
- When to Apply to Grad School for Fall 2023 & How Long Should You Give Yourself?
- University of Manitoba Acceptance Rate, Tuition & Admission
- Best Options to Migrate to Canada With your Family
- Coleman University San Diego California Tuition Fees
- Best Fashion Schools In Abuja
- International University of East Africa Courses and Fees 2023
- Miller-Motte Student Portal Login
- Top Medical and Dental Universities in Lahore
- Top 100 Universities & Colleges With the Lowest Acceptance Rates in US
- 10 Best Technology Universities in Nigeria According to NUC Ranking 2023